Thursday, January 8, 2009

warm fuzzies (aka cheesecake)

Winter sparks the cooking bug in me, and I crave rich foods (actually the "winter" bit is really a red herring- I crave rich foods just about all the time): pot roast, french toast, endless bacon, and most recently cheesecake. This recipe, my introduction to all cheesecake and therefore my standard-bearer, came from my aunt Susan- a chef of some renown in our family. When in need of an excellent, basic and delicious cheesecake recipe, you've found it.

Aunt Susan's Famous Cheesecake
preheat oven 350 degrees
  • 3 8oz. packages of cream cheese- room temperature
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream the cheese, add eggs one at a time, and sugar and vanilla. Blend well.
Line a springform pan with a basic graham cracker crust. I use the honeymaid grahams, 1/3 of the box (they are packaged in thirds, so it is easy to measure) crushed with a pestle and mixed with a stick of melted butter. pour cream cheese mixture onto the crust and bake for 30-40 minutes, until just set.
Turn the oven temperature up to 500 degrees
mix:
  • one pint of sour cream
  • 1 Tablespoon of sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of vanilla extract
pour over cake, smoothing gently. Return to the oven for 6 minutes
Allow cake to cool completely, then refridgerate.

I served it with this blueberry topping: simple and very very good

  • Wash a pint of berries, I used blueberries but I imagine substituting for your preference would be fine.
  • Place approximately 1/3 of them in a saucepan over medium low heat with
  • 1/3-1/2 cup of sugar and the
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • cook, stirring frequently for about ten minutes- until you've achieved a jam-like texture.
  • Let the mixture cool to about room temperature, then
  • mix in the remaining fresh berries

No comments: